Many people don’t know that men can get breast cancer because they aren’t aware that men have breasts. But men do have a small amount of breast tissue behind their nipples. This is where breast cancer can develop.
Male breast cancer is a disease in which malignant (cancer) cells form in the tissues of the breast.
Breast cancer may occur in men. Men at any age may develop breast cancer, but it is usually detected in men between 60 and 70 years of age. Male breast cancer makes up less than 1% of all cases of breast cancer.
The following types of breast cancer are found in men:
- Infiltrating ductal carcinoma: Cancer that has spread beyond the cells lining ducts in the breast. Most men with breast cancer have this type of cancer.
- Ductal carcinoma in situ: Abnormal cells that are found in the lining of a duct; also called intraductal carcinoma.
- Inflammatory breast cancer: A type of cancer in which the breast looks red and swollen and feels warm.
- Paget disease of the nipple: A tumor that has grown from ducts beneath the nipple onto the surface of the nipple.
Radiation exposure, high levels of estrogen, and a family history of breast cancer can increase a man’s risk of breast cancer.
Anything that increases your risk of getting a disease is called a risk factor. Having a risk factor does not mean that you will get cancer; not having risk factors doesn’t mean that you will not get cancer. Talk with your doctor if you think you may be at risk. Risk factors for breast cancer in men may include the following:
- Being exposed to radiation.
- Having a disease linked to high levels of estrogen in the body, such as cirrhosis (liver disease) orKlinefelter syndrome (a genetic disorder.)
- Having several female relatives who have had breast cancer, especially relatives who have analteration of the BRCA2 gene.
The genes in cells carry the hereditary information that is received from a person’s parents. Hereditary breast cancer makes up about 5% to 10% of all breast cancer. Some mutated genes related to breast cancer are more common in certain ethnic groups. Men who have a mutated gene related to breast cancer have an increased risk of this disease.
more recommended stories
OPINION: The future of real estate in the new sexennium
On the last day of his.
Become a Non-Resident of Canada for Tax Purposes
Canadians residing in Mexico full time.
Austrian Symphony Orchestra will arrive in Yucatan in 2019
The University of Graz-Austria Symphony Orchestra.
Patient from Mérida’s Psychiatric Hospital steals delivery truck and smashes it into a wall
On Tuesday December 12th, a patient.
Mayor walks the streets of Progreso to meet citizen requests
Progreso Mayor Julián Zacarías Curi, accompanied.
The ‘hidden jewel’ of Yucatan that you must visit
Valladolid was named one of the.
New Arrivals on Netflix Mexico in December
December looks great on Netflix. The.
UNAM promotes creation of hummingbird gardens in order to improve ecology
Hummingbirds have a great ecological importance.
Yucatan’s International Trova Festival begins Friday 14
The first edition of the Yucatan’s International.
Mérida’s soccer team was bought years ago with money from the Sinaloa Cartel
Tirso ‘El Futbolista‘ Martinez Sanchez, a.