A number of big changes in Immigration law took effect on Friday October 17th

Check out the current Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico

October 17, 2014 Update
There are a number of big changes in Immigration law (specifically for Mexican Consulates – SEGOB),  taking effect today, including a new 10 year visitor’s visa (no permission to work) for family members of a Mexican citizen or of current Residente Temporales and Residente Permanentes:
~ “Visa de Visitante (Larga Duración)
Tramite 2 of http://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_to_doc.php?codnota=5363602 .


The income requirements and savings requirements for qualifying for both Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente have been REDUCED,   with an 80% reduction coming in the average savings required to qualify for Residente Temporal,  and a 20% reduction in the savings required for Residente Permanente.    Note that these changes are reported in the Lineamientos for MEXICAN CONSULATES,  but we expect the Mex. Gob. to update the INM Lineamientos to make the two sets of Lineamiento requirements match each other.    SEE:    http://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_to_doc.php?codnota=5363602


The details on these changes can be found in 2 sections of this article below:

~ Financial Independence (Savings or Income) Requirements for Temporary Residency / Residente Temporal Applicants

~ Financial Independence (Savings or Income) Requirements for Permanent Residency / Residente Permanente Applicants


June 17, 2014 Update
For some adventurous folks, there may be a new way to get a new Residente Temporal permit (when yours expires after 4 years), all without going back home to a Mexican Consulate in your home country. (But don’t try this when you have a TIP car, and check with your local INM office first to get their approval before trying this approach…) ~What do You do When You Have Completed 4 Years of Temporary Residency?

May 2014 Update: Monthly Pension Income requirements and savings requirements are changing at some Mexican Consulates and in some local INM offices (notably Chapala INM and San Antonio’s Mexican Consulate). See (click) this subsection for details: ~Financial Independence (Savings or Income) Requirements for Temporary Residency / Residente Temporal Applicants


April 29, 2014 Updates
Lawyer Spencer McMullen, a talented attorney serving the Chapala expat community, has reported that the Chapala INM office (and Guadalajara INM office) have changed their requirements for applying for Residente Permanente when the applicant has NOT yet completed 4 continuous prior years of Temporary Residence (FM2, FM3, Residente Temporal combined):   Permanent Residency applicants who want to qualify for RP status solely  using $130,000 of retirement savings are now being told that they must have  also at least some ($1) of monthly pension income to qualify.    Mexican Consulates in Boston and San Francisco have also used this requirement in the past,  because the INM Law & Lineamientos clearly describe the “personal fiscal solvency” Requisitos as being for “Jubilados”  (retired people).

We suspect more INM offices will be adopting this new interpretation of INM law,  so we ask readers to write in with information on how their local INM office and how their Consulates are qualifying Residente Permanentes,  specifying whether the person be formally retired and receiving at least some pension income (or not).   Thanks!


February 2014 Updates
We have updated the section on becoming a Naturalized Citizen, based on the new SRE rules and new application forms.   Also note that the Merida INM office is also requiring some Residency applicants to show retirement (pension) income to meet the income requirements.


January 2014 Updates
We have updated the Residente Temporal, Residente Permanente, and Visitor Card fees to reflect the new 2014 INM fee schedule.  ~ INM Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente Permit Fees


December 2013 Updates
We have added helpful details  to our past information for those whose INM Residente Temporal permit expires while they are outside Mexico:  The 55 / 5  day rule and how to keep INM from “screwing-up” your FMM and visa when you re-enter  …  What to do if your INM permit expires while you are outside Mexico

Note that we have made a number of additions to this article, including sections on:
~ Effects of Having a TIP for a Foreign Plated Car When You Apply For Residency at a Consulate:       and
~ Issues When Leaving Mexico with a Pending INM Application using a Temporary Exit Permission Letter:


1/27/2013 Note: There are some rule changes for the documents needed by minors traveling to Mexico after Feb. 15, 2013. See below: Entering Mexico with Children

Effective Nov. 9, 2012: The INM started using the 2011 Law (Ley de Imigracion), with the regulations spelled out in the Reglamento, refined by the details in 2 separateLineamientos.     All together, these paper bombs occupy roughly over 400 pages of government-speak legalese in Spanish.  To keep readers sane:  This article describes and summarizes the new issues visitors and foreign residents are currently working with when visiting or living in Mexico.


Source: http://yucalandia.com/


Check out al the details at:




more recommended stories