A list of the typical food of the Yucatan was presented by Gastronomía: Atlas Cultural de México, 1988, an extensive work by various authors published by the National Institute of Anthropology and History in Mexico City.
Here we share some of the most representative Yucatecan dishes tht made the list:
TRADITIONAL DISHES YOU CAN’T MISS
- Panucho — corn tortillas stuffed with bean paste and fried, then garnished in various ways, particularly with chicken breast and marinated onion strips
- Pollo Ticul — chicken prepared much in the same way as the above, with annatto paste, orange and banana leaves, but also bell pepper, garlic and onions
- Pescado Tikin-Xic — grouper fish prepared with annatto paste and baked in banana leaves.
- Papadzules — small “egg tacos” on a tortilla smothered in tomato sauce and sprinkled generously with toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Pipián — a kind of custard
- Atropellado de coco — coconut, sweet potato, sugar and cinnamon whipped into a paste
- Horchata — made with rice, cinnamon, ground almonds and sugar, served with ice
- Tanchucuá — made of sweetcorn, chocolate, allspice and sugar
- Xtabentún — Anís liquor from fermented honey
To read all the recommendations of Yucatan and other Mexican Mercados, visit the website backyardnature.net
more recommended stories
New Chichén Itzá virtual tour
Google digitized several historical landmarks and.
OPINION: Campaign against “Noise” in Mérida Centro could have an electoral purpose
According to medium.com, the conflict generated.
3 Mexican film students caught in gang turf battle end up murdered
Three vanished film students whose case.
Chichen Itza and beyond: Mayan ruins in Yucatan, Mexico
According to CNN, Mexico is the North.
Vegans make public demonstration in downtown Merida
On Saturday April 14, activists of.
Valladolid highlights the wealth of Yucatan
The artisanal, cultural, gastronomic, architectural and.
Cuxtal Ecological Reserve: a place to spend a fantastic weekend with family and friends
The city of Mérida has a.
“I would like to see a safer Mexico”, Roberta Jacobson
“The bilateral relationship of Mexico and.
La Plancha, a historical opportunity for “La Blanca Mérida”
Residents of the neighborhoods near to.
Relatives of the 43 of Ayotzinapa face Mexico City police near Los Pinos
On April 24, relatives of the.