The ancient Maya city of Xlapak flourished between 750 AD. and 950 AD in a small valley 3 kilometers west of Labná. Its buildings, although sober, indicate the presence of a dominant lineage that controlled the agricultural resources of the region, as well as the surrounding rainforest.
It is possible that these resources were not only used in the settlement, but were also sent to the nearby cities of Labná, Sayil and possibly even Uxmal, which at that time was the capital of the Puuc region.
It is probable that this small community was founded during the years of the Puuc plenitude that occurred between 750 AD. and 950 AD
- In order to produce 1,000 kg of lime, the Mayans had to burn 150 green trees.
- Xlapak was discovered by Archaeologist Theobert Maer in 1902, 116 years ago.
- The palace of Xlapak has 17 masks on its facade.
- About 1206 coating stones were needed to construct a quarter of a standard size.
DID YOU KNOW?
- The most fertile soils of the entire Yucatan Peninsula are in the Puuc zone.
- The rain was the main source of water for the Mayans of the Puuc region, because in this area there are no superficial bodies of water.
- The Mayans did not use metals.
- All the construction materials were transported on the back of men.
It stands out for the sobriety of its forms, the sets are small courtyards that house masonry constructions of several rooms known as palaces. Like other buildings of the classical Puuc style, the ornamentation is concentrated on the upper part of the constructions and is rarely present in the lower part.
In spite of its austere forms, the symmetry of its designs is outstanding. These characteristics can be observed in the building known simply as El Palacio, where towers of masks of the god Chaak alternate with staggered and found frets that are thought to be stylizations of the masks of the god of rain.
more recommended stories
Cancun, an example of tourism promotion for Japan
A Quintana Roo delegation of FONATUR.
Homicides in Mexico increase 17% so far in 2018
Intentional homicides in Mexico has increased.
Expats Feel at Home in Mexico; InterNations Survey
InterNations.org recently released the results of.
Through the implementation of AMLO’s austerity plan, the government could save 132 billion pesos in 2019
As wages for high government officials.
Japanese delegation comes to Mérida to strengthen bilateral relationship
The project of the Chicxulub crater.
First house entirely made of Sargassum built by Mexican inventor in Quintana Roo
PUERTO MORELOS, Q. Roo, September 20,.
Protests in Homun, Yucatan against the opening of mega pig farm
On Friday September 21, the conflict.
Day of the Dead Parade Mexico City, three years stunning the world
For the third year in a.
Viva Aerobus announces new direct flights between Cancun and the U.S.
Viva Aerobus, the ultra low cost.
Vessel control centers urgently needed in Quintana Roo
“A control center like the one.