Some readers have asked us to dedicate some post to Cuban food. To do this, we asked one of our collaborators of Cuban ancestry to do us the favor of sharing a recipe with us. For the above, he called the big guns and his grand mother, Doña Olga Hernández, shared with us an old family recipe, from Santiago de Cuba, with a slightly strange name: Jigote.
The ingredients to prepare the jigote are:
- 1 medium hen
- 4 boiled eggs
1 or 2 sprigs of parsley
2 liters of water
1 or 2 coriander leaf
1/8 teaspoon of sweet pepper
1 minced sweet pepper
1 teaspoon of salt (well-filled)
2 or 3 crushed garlic cloves
2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil
Roasted oregano to your taste
- Place the already cleaned and washed hen to cook in boiling water with oregano and pepper. Cook until a broth.
- When the hen its cooked and the broth ready, remove and bone it, separating the breast and leaving it inside the broth to maintain a spongy texture.
- In a separate pan put the tablespoons of oil to fry. Pre-heat the oil a little and then add the chopped sweet pepper, along with the crushed garlic cloves, and the cut parsley.
- Fry for a couple of minutes and remove from the fire.
- Remove the breast from the broth and strain the chicken broth, placing it back in the fire.
- Add the fried contents —sofrito— we had reserved in the pan, into the broth. We also add the cilantro leaf and salt to your taste.
- Finally add the meat of the breast well chopped or grounded. Let cook for about ten – fifteen minutes watching the level of the broth to finally we remove from the fire.
- Serve the Jigote soup adding to the dish pieces of toasted or fried bread and the hard-boiled eggs chopped.
There are many differences between the culinary traditions of Santiago de Cuba, —Cuba in general— and Havana. Although there is a common history, the eastern Cuba regions have received a greater influence from the Caribbean, due to the smuggling days of pirates, making their cuisine peculiar and unique, enriched by centuries of immigration from neighboring islands such as Dominicana and Haiti, before the Revolution.
Doña Olga Hernandez is an 84 year old mom, grandmother, great grandmother and AMAZING cook!
The Yucatan Times
more recommended stories
Extreme sports options for people with disabilities in Yucatan
To rappel, explore caverns, dive or.
Man murdered inside his home in Kanasín, Yucatán
MÉRIDA, Yucatán.- A murder was registered.
Cubans accused of illegal fishing in Quintana Roo’s territorial waters
Fishermen from Isla Mujeres and Cancún.
Merida among Travel+Leisure’s top five Mexican destinations to visit
For the second time, Merida is.
Aztecs to take over Germany
The Linden Museum of the German.
“Andares” a play about indigenous people, will be presented in Campeche
Andares, a play that presents the.
Number of tourists in Valladolid increases during the summer holidays
With the start of the summer.
In July, the Yucatan will witness the Sun in Zenith and proximity of Mars
From July 18 to 20 ,.
López Obrador slashes his own salary and increases his popularity among the people of Mexico
Mexican President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador.
July MEL Night Canceled
MEL Night for the month of.