Yucatán’s capital city we all know and love received top honors from Travel + Leisure magazine this week. Named number 7 out of 10 of the ‘Top Cities in Mexico & Central & South America’, Mérida received a score of 85.67.
Each year Travel + Leisure readers participate in naming their top cities for the T+L World’s Best Awards. Weighing in on everything from landmarks, historic icons, friendliness, outdoor adventure, cuisine, accommodations, and more, readers share their favorite cities and travel experiences across the globe.
Half of this year’s top urban centers were located in Mexico. I am extremely happy to see that my home away from home destination city made the list. Three key ingredients make up charming places – People, pride, and respect, all which Mérida possess. The unexpected romance of this city of modern conveniences, historic depth, and its proximity to whisper breezes on unspoiled beaches along the northwestern shores of the Yucatán, provide something magical. Genuine hellos, expansive hidden courtyards and afternoon pastries are simply charming.
What is not to love about Mérida? From haciendas to cenote tours, and world-class cuisine to Mayan heritage, this city embraces with a warmth unlike any other.
A few of my Favorite Things while visiting Mérida?
- Jazz on the rooftop of Rosas & Xocolate
- Cenote Tour with YucatanCenote.com
- Climb the Pyramids at Uxmal
- Tour the Cathedral and Zócalo
- Enjoy Fresh Mussels at Rosa Sur
- Visit Malahat Speakeasy for a late night cocktail
- Get Invited to a Wedding at Hacienda Dzibikak
- Sip Coffee at the Top of Ancient Ruins at Hacienda Itzincab Cámara
- Enjoy dinner at Ixi’im, organic and seasonal cuisine sourced from on-site traditional Maya Gardens at Chablé.
- Visit Sisal Beach and take a Chalana Tour to see the Flamingos.
- Enjoy a Xocolate Experience massage with a drizzled chocolate wrap and rose sugar scrub at Rosas & Xocolate.
- Learn or watch traditional dancing in Santa Lucia Square on Thursday Nights
- Enjoy a Mayan coffee at La Chaya Maya
- Bike or Walk Paseo de Montejo for “La Bici Ruta” on Sunday mornings.
- Enjoy French Cheese at Cafe Creme
Read The Top 10 Cities in Mexico & Central & South America from Travel & Leisure:
Explore More Yucatan Experience Ideas @ Yucatán Travel: http://www.yucatan.travel/
By Miranda Allfrey Murry for TYT
Miranda Allfrey Murry is a travel, health & lifestyle writer, cancer survivor, and speaker. Her captivating storytelling adds magic to destinations, cuisine, experiences, products, culture, and health. With a global awareness and passion for life & cloudsurfing (aka flying), she is the perfect brand ambassador. To learn how she can help your company surf to the top, click here: Work with Miranda.
more recommended stories
Chetumal, the youngest state capital in Mexico
o the south of the state.
Dolphin Discovery Isla Mujeres “partners” with UN in global event
As part of the environmental education.
Diver reported for damaging the ecosystem in Cozumel reef
Through social networks, a diving service.
New luxury and PR strategy for Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen
Luxury strategy and public relations agency.
Tulum’s “Art With Me” Festival instantly becomes a world class event (FORBES.com)
Sunbathing on the beach in Tulum,.
Beautiful Costa Mujeres needs to be at the top of your travel bucket list
For many, a Mexican getaway consists.
Despite safety and security concerns, Cancun remains # 1 tourist destination in Latinamerica
Cancun maintained its position as the.
600 new police for Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Tulum Quintana Roo
According to riviera-maya-news.com, approximately 600 new.
Teen jogger who accidentally crossed U.S. border from Canada is detained for two weeks
A teenager out for a beachside.
Grand Finale of the 2018 Merida Initiative National Mock Trial Competition for Mexican Law Students
Mexico City, 21 June, 2018 –.