Published On: Wed, Jun 28th, 2017

New parrot species reportedly discovered in Yucatan

Traci Watson writes in National Geographic that for decades, countless bird lovers have scoured the Yucatán Peninsula on a quest for rare species. Now it appears they all missed one—and a bright and noisy one at that.

A parrot with paint-box colors and a voice like a hawk’s has been discovered in the Yucatán Peninsula, according to a new study. Christened the blue-winged Amazon, it was completely unknown to science until a few years ago.

That makes it an oddity: New parrot species named in recent years tend to be subspecies later promoted to full species status, often as a result of DNA tests.

”This is, without a doubt, proof that we still live in a time of ornithological discoveries,” says Miguel Gómez Garza, of the Autonomous University of Nueva León, the first to glimpse the new parrot in 2014. “We just have to keep … our eyes wide open.”

(PHOTO: phys.org)

(PHOTO: phys.org)

But other experts are doubtful that the blue-winged is a new addition to the flock.

A STRANGE CRY IN THE FOREST

Garza, a veterinarian who cares for wildlife confiscated by Mexican authorities, was exploring the Yucatán’s forests when he heard an unusual bird call. The source was a group of parrots, about the size of city pigeons, their striking blue wing feathers and flaming red foreheads setting them apart from other known species.

With help from Mexican officials, Garza procured a male and female bird and let them loose in a large enclosure in his house. Then he called Tony Silva, an independent bird expert in Florida and a co-author of the new study.

“When I first heard them over the phone, I said, ‘Did you get some hawks?’” Silva recalls. Unlike other parrots, the blue-winged utters a series of harsh, repetitive notes similar to a raptor’s.

The bird’s noisy calls seem to fit with its energetic nature. “They’re climbing, they’re chewing, they’re preening, they’re pulling at each other,” Silva says of Garza’s birds. “They’re just very active.”

Another parrot living in the same region, the yellow-lored Amazon, is more quiet and sedate.

To read complete article click here.

Source: nationalgeographic.com

Comments

comments

1. Eliseo says:

There is perceptibly a bundle to know about this. I think you made some nice points in features also.

2. Tijuana says:

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this outstanding blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will share this site with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

3. facetime app download says:

I’m really intrigued to understand just what site system you are utilizing? I’m having some minor security problems with the most recent website on free facetime app for android so I’d like to find something a lot more risk-free. Have you got any alternatives?

4. kik download for pc says:

Hi there, what do you feel around kik messenger for pc? Extremely great matter, huh?

5. life quotes says:

Hi could you inform me which platform you are making use of? I am going to start off our site on famous quotes very soon although I am having trouble making a decision.

6. Anette says:

There are some fascinating closing dates on this article however I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There is some validity but I’ll take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like more! Added to FeedBurner as effectively