El Chapo’s sons wounded in cartel attack
A prominent Mexican journalist reported Wednesday that the sons of Sinaloa cartel kingpin Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán say they were wounded in an attack they blamed on a rival drug gang figure and onetime “top lieutenant” for their father.
Ciro Gómez Leyva said he received word about Saturday’s purported attack in a handwritten letter from Guzmán’s sons that said they were with Sinaloa boss Ismael “El Mayo” Zambada at the time and that he was also targeted.
Gómez Leyva said the letter accused Dámaso López, another alleged Sinaloa figure who is believed to be disputing for control of the cartel, of betraying them. The letter said they had come to a meeting organized by López only to find he was not there, and gunmen suddenly opened fire and killed their bodyguards. Guzmán’s sons said they and Zambada escaped.
Journalist Ciro Gómez Leyva said he received a handwritten letter from Guzmán’s sons saying they were with Sinaloa boss “El Mayo” Zambada at the time and that he was also targeted
Guzmán lawyer José Refugio confirmed to local media that the letter came from the sons.
“I was aware of that, I know about that letter and I know they wrote that letter,” Refugio told Radio Formula. “But it was not delivered through me.”
Mexican authorities did not immediately confirm or otherwise comment on the purported attack.
Guzmán was arrested for the third time in January 2016 and finally extradited to the United States last month. Some have speculated a bloody turf war could break out to fill the power vacuum.
Last August, his son Jesús Alfredo Guzmán Salazar was one of a half-dozen people kidnapped by armed men from a restaurant in the Pacific coast city of Puerto Vallarta. He was released not long afterward.
According to the U.S. Department of Justice, López was indicted by a federal grand jury in Alexandria, Virginia, in 2011, accused of conspiracy to distribute cocaine and conspiracy to launder money.