150 British tourists report food poisoning after Riviera Maya vacations
UK authorities have issued a holiday health warning after nearly 150 British tourists were struck down with bouts of food poisoning after trips to the Riviera Maya.
Public Health England (PHE) told people to be aware of the risk of infection from a food and water bug, cyclospora, if staying in hotels and resorts on the Riviera Maya coastline.
Symptoms can include diarrhea, appetite loss, stomach cramps and pain, bloating, increased wind, weight loss, nausea or tiredness.
204: The total number of food poisoning cases reported in the UK since June 1.
148: The number of food poisoning cases involving people who vacationed on Mexico’s Riviera Maya coast.
People holidaying in Mexico over the summer were urged to take care of their eating and drinking and to get medical advice for any symptoms, both during the trip and upon return to the UK.
“If you are ill when you get home, remember to tell your GP about your travel history,” said Dr Katherine Russell, head of travel at PHE.
Travel health experts said the need to follow good food and water hygiene advice applied at all times on holiday in tropical or subtropical countries, even if staying in high-end, all-inclusive resorts.
Dr Vanessa Field, deputy director of the National Travel Health Network and Centre, offered the following advice:
- Avoid buffets and choose recently prepared, thoroughly cooked food that is served piping hot.
- Avoid fresh uncooked berries or unpeeled fruit and any salad items not washed in safe water.
- Remember that drinks may also contain uncooked herbs, vegetables or fruit.
PHE said of the 204 food poisoning cases reported in the UK since June 1, 148 involved holidaymakers who stayed in hotels and resorts on the Riviera Maya coast.