Published On: Wed, Jul 13th, 2016

A harsh Brooklyn lockup awaits ‘El Chapo’

BROOKLYN, NY — The incessant shouts carry through air vents and heavy metal doors. It’s how the segregated prisoners commiserate about life behind bars. They pound the walls until their fists are bloody. They clog toilets and flood their cells, urine and feces pouring into the corridors.

Such is life in the most restricted units of the nine-story Metropolitan Detention Center (MDC) in Brooklyn.

Cell block at Metropolitan Detencion Center in Brooklyn. (PHOTO: romanvega.com)

Cell block at Metropolitan Detencion Center in Brooklyn. (PHOTO: romanvega.com)

It’s also the largest federal detention center, with inmates deemed “extremely dangerous, violent, or escape-prone,” according to the U.S. Justice Department.
So observers were understandably surprised when, through his attorney, reputed drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman recently expressed a desire to be extradited to the United States. The lawyer has since changed his tone.

A Houdini-like master of escape in his native Mexico, Guzman could be sent to the Brooklyn lockup, where he will stay while he stands trial on federal charges, according to American officials. They have been preparing his transfer for months.
Court documents as well as interviews with former federal prison officials, penal experts and others shed light on the conditions he could expect across the shallow waters of the Rio Grande.

Joaquin El Chapo Guzman being processed into Mexican prison. (PHOTO: cnn.com)

Joaquin El Chapo Guzman being processed into Mexican prison. (PHOTO: cnn.com)

Life in America will be starkly different from Guzman’s time at the maximum security Puente Grande prison near Guadalajara, Mexico, where he lived in relative luxury until he decided to break out in 2001 — by some accounts, in a laundry cart.

Nor will it resemble his days at the Supermax-like Altiplano prison near Mexico City, where he slipped out through an elaborate underground tunnel and rode a motorcycle to freedom.

“He’s definitely not going to be digging any tunnels in Brooklyn,” former MDC prisoner Esteban Gonzalez said with a chuckle. “I can tell you that. Once those metal doors close behind him, it’s pretty much over.”

To read complete story click here.

Source: edition.cnn.com

Comments

comments

1. Shantay says:

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to claim that I acquire actually loved account your weblog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your augment and even I fulfillment you access constantly fast.

2. lucky patcher ios says:

I like the things you dudes are up to. Such great work and exposure! Carry on the fantastic work guys, I’ve included you to our lucky patcher latest version website.

3. tubemate for pc says:

Hello, what do you really feel about kodi apk? Extremely great idea, huh?

4. Isidro says:

My coder is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on numerous websites for about a year and am worried about switching to another platform. I have heard very good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!

5. you can look here says:

You’re definitely right, I’d really like to know new information on that issue! I am also curious about appvn apk because I feel it really is very trendy in these days. Thanks!

6. Lucio says:

I simply couldn’t depart your website prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard info a person supply for your guests? Is gonna be again frequently in order to check up on new posts