The “Paseo de las Animas” (Procession of the Souls) is scheduled to start today at 6 pm 0n the corner of “El Diamante”, located on Calle 64 (between 73 and 75), to Merida’s General Cemetery, passing by the Ermita de Santa Isabel.
The procession of souls features young people and children dressed in the typical Yucatecan costume and characterized as dead. They are all part of the folklore groups from the State Department of Culture. This year, a regional altar from the state of Veracruz will be displayed.
During the itinerary there will be altars installed by neighbors, Citizen Participation Councils, civil associations, schools and offices, among others; along with artistic and cultural presentations.
This year, a total of 324 volunteers signed up to build the altars, 14 from civil associations, 16 from Integral Development Centers, one more by the Merida “comisarías”, 128 made from the Citizen Participation Council, 23 from other Yucatecan municipalities, 10 from private companies, 6 from schools and 80 are local residents.
All activities are free addmission.
– Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. The activity is basically to walk the path with “souls”. The exhibition includes several streets (some with cobblestones).
– Be aware that many of the surrounding streets will be closed.
– If you park your car in a parking lot, be ready for a relatively long walk .
– The altars will be ready for visitors at 6 pm.
– The procession (with characterized people) starts at 7 pm in the “Punta del Diamante”, Calle 64 between 73 and 75.
– At 7 pm there will be a “Vaquería of souls” in front of the Ermita de Santa Isabel.
– At 8:30 pm there will be a Mayan ceremony in the General Cemetery and 9 pm the “souls” go out in procession from the cemetery.
more recommended stories
Mexico analyzing U.S. proposal on deportation funding
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) – Mexico’s government.
López Obrador promises an extra 10 billion pesos for earthquake recovery
President-elect Andrés Manuel López Obrador yesterday.
AMLO stuck for hours on commercial flight in Oaxaca
Mexico’s President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador,.
Yucatan will become a pole for Artificial Intelligence in Mexico
Yucatan seeks to become the pole.
Increased prevention efforts needed to curb the growing risk of future natural disasters in Yucatán
Aarón Palomo Euán, director of the.
Truck storing 150 unclaimed corpses found in Jalisco, Mexico
Two weeks after residents of Tlaquepaque,.
“Quintana Roo’s subsoil fragility is a challenge that the Maya Train will face ” expert says
Chetumal (19 Sept 2018) .- In.
Pitbull’s exhibition and seminar in Oxkutzcab, Yucatán (Sep. 23)
On Sunday, September 23, an exhibition of.
A study by Universidad del Caribe reveals exponential increase of Airbnb rooms in Cancun
Cancun, Q.R. — A new reports.
Mexico’s next government starts oil contract reviews with Talos Energy
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) – Mexico’s incoming.