Published On: Sat, Sep 26th, 2015

Journalism a dangerous trade, in Mexico and around the world

MÉRIDA, YUCATÁN – Being a journalist is a dangerous occupation in many countries, Mexico among them. Around the world, 46 journalists have been murdered so far in 2015, 9 of whom were in Mexico. Photojournalist Rubén Espinosa Becerril, who was found murdered in Mexico City last month became the latest addition to the count, bringing the total number of victims in the country since 2000 to 89.

Espinosa worked for AVC (a Veracruz news outlet), Proceso (a national investigative magazine) and Cuarto Oscuro (a photo agency), and had fled to the capital in early June, following death threats in the state of Veracruz where he was based. He was at one time the official photographer for the governor of the state of Veracruz, however resigned as his criticism of the violence against journalists in his state was incompatible with a government job. He later publicly accused current Veracruz governor Javier Duarte de Ochoa of direct responsibility for violations of media freedom in the state, as well as for the threats against him personally. Veracruz is considered one of the most dangerous states for journalists in Mexico, as The Yucatan Times reported last month; however the danger followed Espinosa to Mexico City where he sought refuge.

RSF

Reporters Without Borders / Reporters Sans Frontieres (RSF) of which this writer is a member, tracks threats to press freedom around the world, including murder and imprisonment of journalists, and their figures tell a troubling story. In addition to 46 journalists murdered worldwide since the start of 2015, 144 have been imprisoned, with 12 netizens/citizen journalists killed and 170 imprisoned.

The worst country in which to be a journalist according to RSF’s 2015 World Press Freedom Index is Eritrea, ranked at number 180, closely followed by North Korea and Turkmenistan. Mexico is ranked 148, keeping company with Russia, Gambia, Democratic Republic of The Congo, Turkey, Malaysia and Bangladesh. The best? Finland at number 1, followed by Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, and Sweden, while honorable mentions go to Canada (8), Ireland (11), and Costa Rica (16). The United Kingdom is ranked 34, while the USA is at 49, below Burkina Faso (46) and El Salvador (45).

journalist-danger

We can consider ourselves fortunate that Yucatán is probably the safest state in the country for journalists (as indeed for everyone), with no murders of journalists recorded in modern times. However, we pause for thought and remember the great risks our colleagues around the country and around the world take every day to report on events and bring the details to us.

For more information about RSF, to learn about threats to journalists worldwide, and to view the interactive 2015 World Press Freedom Index map, visit http://en.rsf.org/

by Stewart Mandy

Stewart Mandy thumbnail

Born in Europe, raised in the Middle East, and a long-time resident in the Americas, Stewart has been based in Mérida, Yucatan since 2010, and has lived and worked worldwide in the media, travel, tourism and transportation industries for well over 20 years. His local contacts and global knowledge provide him with unmatched access to the stories ‘behind the stories’ and he likes to take you to the places that others don’t or won’t go. From the Arctic Circle to Tierra del Fuego, from Moscow to Melbourne, from Bergen to Buenos Aires, Stewart has been there. Chances are, wherever you are heading, he knows the score.

In addition to The Yucatan Times, Stewart contributes (or has contributed) to “The Examiner” (www.examiner.com), “Business Briefings”, “Cruise & Ferry Magazine” and “The Apollo Magazine”. He is a former editor of “rolling pin CRUISE” magazine.

He can be contacted by email at stewart@theyucatantimes.com or smandy@gmail.com. You can join him on Facebook at www.facebook.com/meridawriter, follow him on Twitter @stewartmandy or visit his website at www.stewartmandy.com or his blog at http://tolocsandaluxes.blogspot.mx/

Questions or comments? Join the discussion below, or send an email to stewart@theyucatantimes.com

Comments

comments

1. Mohammd Loan says:

DO YOU NEED AM URGENT LOAN LOAN LOW AS 3% INTEREST RATE APPLY NOW
    (mohammdloanfinacialservice@gmail.com)

Do you need a Loan?Are you looking for Finance?Are you looking for a Loan to enlarge your business?I think you have come to the right place.We offer Loans atlow interest rate.Interested people should please contact us onFor immediate response to your application, Kindlyreply to this emails below only:mohammdloanfinacialservice@gmail.com

2. Abdul Majeed says:

Good Day Sir/Madam:
    Getting a legitimate loan have always been a huge problem To clients
    who have financial needs. The issue of credit and collateral are
    something that clients are always worried about when seeking a loan
    from a legitimate lender. But WORLD WIDE LOAN has made that difference
    in the lending industry. We can arrange for a loan from the range of
    $5,000. to $500,000.000

Our Services Include the Following:
    Debt Consolidation
    Second Mortgage
    Business Loans
    Personal Loans
    International Loans

No social security and no credit check, 100% Guarantee. All you have
    to do is let us know exactly what you want and we will surely make
    your dream come true. WORLD WIDE LOAN. says YES when your banks say
    NO. Lastly, we fund small scale loan firm, intermediaries, small scale
    financial institutions for we have unlimited capital. For further
    details to go about procuring a loan contact us, Kindly respond
    immediately to this

Tel:

LOAN INFORMATION
    Amount Needed:
    Purpose For The Loan:
    Loan Term & Duration:
    Telephone:
    Name Of Company (For company owners)::…..
    Your international passport or drivers license is:
    Have you applied for loan before (yes or no)..

Best Regards.
    Abdul Majeed
    abdulmajeedloancompany@gmail.com

3. Mr Benard Gills says:

Hello everyone, My name is Benard Gills, I am from the United State Of American New York, am here to testify of how i got my business loan from Patrick Benson Loan Institute,a God fearing and honest lender who i will always keep praying for,after i applied Two times from various loan lenders who claimed to be lenders right here this forum,i thought their lending where real and genuine,i applied but they never gave me loan until a friend of mine introduce me to Mr Patrick Benson the C.E.O of Patrick Benson Loan Institute who promised to help me with a loan of my desire and he really did as she promised without any form of delay,i got my loan amount valid sum of $150,000USD I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until i met Mr Patrick Benson who really helped me with my loan and changed my life for the better.All gratitude goes to Mr Patrick Benson a God sent Loan Lender for giving a meaning to my life when i had lost all hope so i made a vow to my self that i will keep testifying on the internet on how i got my loan.I don’t know if you are in need of an urgent loan also, So feel free to contact Mr Patrick Benson on this email address:{patrickbensonloaninstitute229@gmail.com} for help,he is a kind hearten lender and God fearing man too,i know he will never let you down,and inform him i Mr Benard Gills refer you to his company,and i know he will be very happy for that…

Regards to you all

Mr Benard Gills

4. Mrs. Morgan says:

TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM A REAL AND GENUINE LOAN COMPANY CALLED WILLIAMS LOAN COMPANY. I AM VERY HAPPY TODAY AND GOD BLESS WILLIAMS LOAN COMPANY.

URGENT XMAS LOAN OFFER APPLY NOW.
    Hello,
    My name is Lady Vanessa Wayne, i am from New York USA, I’m married, i have
    been searching for a genuine loan company for the past 5 months and
    all i got was bunch of scams who made me to trust them and at the end
    of the day, they took my money without giving anything in return, all
    my hope was lost, i got confused and frustrated,i find it very
    difficult to feed my family, i never wanted to have anything to do
    with loan companies on the internet, so i went to borrow some money from a
    friend, i told her all that happened and she said she can help me, that
    she knows a loan company that can help me with any amount of loan
    needed by me with a very low interest rate of 2%, that she just got a
    loan from them, she directed me on how to apply for the loan, i did
    just as she told me, i applied with them on Email:(williamsloans14@gmail.com), i never believed but i tried and to my
    greatest surprise i got the loan within 24 hours, i could not believe,
    i am happy and rich again and i am thanking God that such loan
    companies like this still exist upon this scams all over the places,
    please i advise everyone out there who are in need of loan to go for
    (williamsloans14@gmail.com) they will never fail you,and
    your life shall change as mine did.

5. Avit Investment says:

Greetings to you by ADIA.

We are a France-Paris based investment company known as Avit
    Development Investment Authority working on expanding its portfolio
    globally and financing projects.

We would be happy to fund and invest with you in any profitable
    project if you have any viable project we can finance by making mutual
    investment with you. If you are interested, kindly contact us
    on:avitinvestmentauthority2@gmail.com for more details.

Looking forward hearing from you soonest.
    Yours truly,
    Mrs Kristina Anderson

6. Sterm Brown says:

Testimony Of How I Got Financial Help From mr.mccarthyma@yahoo.co.za

Hello everyone i could not hold this any longer am overarmed with joy so i am here to testify how i got my loan from Mr McCarthy ma after i applied several times from various loan lenders and bank but was turned down when i
    was desperately in need of a loan to expand my business and i applied from various loan lenders and banks who turned me down because of my credit score. Until a friend of mine introduced me to Mr. McCarthy ma who promised to help me and indeed he did as he promised without any credit check. I never thought there are still reliable

Lenders online until i came across Mr. McCarthy ma , who proved me wrong by showing me that there are still honest people in the world. there might be people out there who are in search of Loans for different purposes feel free to contact Mr McCarthy ma he is so friendly and always ready to help here is his email (mr.mccarthyma@yahoo.co.za)

7. Avit Investment says:

Greetings to you by ADIA.

We are a France-Paris based investment company known as Avit
    Development Investment Authority working on expanding its portfolio
    globally and financing projects.

We would be happy to fund and invest with you in any profitable
    project if you have any viable project we can finance by making mutual
    investment with you. If you are interested, kindly contact us
    on:avitinvestmentauthority2@gmail.com for more details.

Looking forward hearing from you soonest.

Yours truly,
    Mrs Kristina Anderson
    (Personal Assistant)
    Avit Development Investment Authority(ADIA)
    501 Avenue Montaigne,75008 Paris-France
    Paris-France.Avit Development Investment Authority (ADIA)

8. jacob luke says:

DO you need a loan to consolidate your debt? Are you in need of a loan to
    finance, or expand your business? or for car purchase, buying a house and
    other personal loans ETC we give long term loan for one to fifty years
    maximum with 3% interest rate. You are 100% Guaranteed. contact us via
    email address: standardloaninvestment408@gmail..com » BORROWERS APPLICATION
    DETAILS

9. Manoj says:

Are you in search of a legitimate loan? Tired of Seeking Loans and Mortgages?Have you been turned down by your banks ? Do you need a loan to clear your debts/bills? Then your financial trauma is over. We Offer Loans from $5,000.00 to $100,000,000.00 with 3% interest rate. We are certified and trust worthy. we can help you with financial assistance. If interested do get back to us via Email: manojyidi01@gmail.com

10. Mr john potto says:

We wish to give out loan to whom ever that is in need of a loan at interest rate of 3%, We give out loan from the minimum of 5,000.00 usd to the maximum 100 million dollars, pounds, euros, If interested, Contact us via email: johnpotto4@gmail.com

11. MUSA says:

My Name is Siyabonga Bokamosoi have a testimony about Abdallah Williams & Co
    Financial how get a loan of $5 million USD Dollars to setup a business
    in Texas in USA and i told my husband about the same company and my
    husband also get a loan of $13 million and i can n,t keep this Good
    firm to myself or than saying it to the world , for those who have
    financial breakdown, in poverty or you want to upgrade your standard
    of living to get your legit loan here (Legit and Trusted Loan) kindly
    contact this email Abdallah.afandi@financier.com
    HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM THIS GREAT COMPANY

12. Abdallah says:

We The Islamic Family of Abdallah, Abdel Wassim We grant loans to businesses and individuals at a low interest rate and affordable Interest rate of 3%. Contact us by email: Abdallah.afandi@financier.com

13. Remond says:

We are sincere Government well registered and certified private moneylender permitted to render financial assistant to individual and cooperate bodies, ranging from the Amount of $5,000 to $100,000,000 Million Dollars ,Euro and Pounds with long loan repayment period of 1 year to 50 years. Loan Available now are Business, Personal, House,Travel and Student Loans. Apply for a loan today. Its Easy and fast to get at 2% interest rates and monthly installment payments. Check-out this great offer. If you are interested do get back us with these information,Your Name: Address:City:Country:Phone:Amount Needed:Loan Duration: Contact via email.fastneasservice22@muslim.com

14. juliet says:

Good day to you all i am Mr Lino from Florida United state, Do be aware that there are scammers all over the internet claiming to be Loan Lenders. I went through hell just to get a loan of $85,000.00 Dollars, Until i cam across one Mrs Juliana Conradiee who was too good to me. I am using this medium to let the world know that there are still Good and trustworthy Loan Lenders out there, The person of Mrs Juliana Conradiee, You can contact her with this Email- julianaconradieeloanfirm@gmail.com. Please do spread this news all over the world after which you may have got your own loan. Until she becomes a genius.

Best Regards

Juliet

15. bennyjames says:

***AVOID SCAMS***

NO UPFRONT PAYMENTS INVOLVED

Loan Opportunity at your door step

Do you need urgent loan?
    Need a business loan?
    Need a loan for your investment?
    Need a loan to finance your problem?
    Need personal loan?

To properly introduce myself, I am Fred Robert, a private lender i give out loan at 3% interest rate per year. It is a financial opportunity at your door. Step up today and get instant loan.There are many out there looking for financial options or help around the place and still not be able to get one.

But it is a financial opportunity at your door step and as such you can not miss this opportunity. This service, is for individuals, companies, business men and women.The loan amount available ranges from $ 3,000.00 to $ 50,000,000.00, for any legal purpose, with a comfortable duration. That range from 1-30 years. For more information contact us via email:
    bennyjamesloanfirms100@gmail.com

16. Musaddiq Lending says:

We offer a wide range of financial services 3% which includes: Business Planning, Commercial and Development Finance, Properties and Mortgages, Debt Consolidation cash, Business cash, Private cash,car cash, hotel cash, student cash Contact us via email: musaddiqloanlending@gmail.com

17. Mr Mohan Mahindra says:

Need a Debt Loan To Pay Off Bills?
    Take control of your debt today
    Available Now Business Expansion Loan Offer?
    Do you need a loan to pay off Bills?
    Do you need a loan?
    Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Expansion Loan?
    Business Start-up, Education,
    Debt Consolidation Loan
    Hard Money Loans
    Loan for any thing ?
    We offer loan at low interest rate of 3%
    Loan with no credit check,
    Email us: mohammahindraloans@gmail.com
    Contact Number:+918587095451

18. Alex Jack says:

Bonjour Vous cherchez un prêt d’entreprise, des prêts personnels, des prêts hypothécaires, des prêts automobiles, des prêts étudiants, des prêts de consolidation de dettes, des prêts non garantis, du capital-risque, etc … Ou avez-vous été refusé un prêt par votre banque ou institution financière pour un Ou plus de raisons? Ici, vous obtiendrez une solution à ce problème tant que vous êtes trouvé admissible au prêt et la confiance digne. Nous offrons des prêts d’un minimum de 5 000 $ à un maximum de 10 000 000,00 $, nous offrons des prêts aux entreprises et aux particuliers à un taux d’intérêt faible et abordable de 2%. Donc, si vous êtes intéressé par un prêt rapide et facile. Contactez-nous dès aujourd’hui: COURRIEL 1: alexjack0813@gmail.com

19. Action Financial says:

Are you trying to start a business, settle your debt, expand your existing one, need money to build, need money to purchase supplies. Have you been having problem trying to secure a Good
    Credit Facility, Contact us now for financing today and put a stop to all your financial barriers.

We are fast, reliable and competent. For immediately response Contact Us via company Email :

actionfinancial06@gmail.com

20. max william says:

Do you need Finance?
    Are you looking for Finance?
    Are you looking for a money to enlarge your business?
    We help individuals and companies to obtain loan for business
    expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get a loan at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this cash/loan for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via Email:maxcreditfinance@googlemail.com

21. Jeff Chandler says:

I’m Jeff Chandler by name, i want to use this medium to alert all loan seekers to be very careful because there are scammers everywhere.Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. I had almost lost hope until a friend of mine referred me to a very reliable lender called Rev. Ben Davies ( A God fearing man) who lend me a loan of $65,000.00 under 72 working hours without any stress. I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan in their company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them i filled the loan application form and proceeded with all that was requested of me and to my shock I was given the loan,and i promise to share this without him knowing, If you are in need of any kind of loan just contact him now via: bendaviesloanfirm@yahoo.com, I‘m using this medium to alert all loan seekers because of the hell I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent lenders. He is kind hearten.(bendaviesloanfirm@yahoo.com)…

22. Elena says:

Dear Loan Seekers

You in any financial difficulties? Do you want to start your own business? This loan company was established human rights organizations around the world with the sole purpose of helping the poor and people with financial difficulties of life. If you want to apply for a loan, get back to us with the details below email: elenanino0007@gmail.com

Name: