Cherie Pittillo, “nature inspired,” zoologist, photographer, and author, explores nature everywhere she goes. She’s identified 56 bird species in her Merida, Yucatan backyard view. Her column, published on the 7th and 21st of each month, features anecdotes about birding in Merida, Yucatan and beyond.
Contact: email@example.com All rights reserved, ©Cherie Pittillo
June 21 is the official first day of summer. Perhaps these birds have a few suggestions to beat the heat. Or just go dozin’ with this dozen.
- COOL OFF WITH A SWIM OR A SPLASH. A wetland bird, the Pied-bill Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps), skinny dips in its local pool.
- LOOK AT ORDINARY THINGS IN A DIFFERENT WAY. A Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) searches for insects even in an upside down position.
- SEE THE SITES WITH YOUR FRIENDS. A flock of Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks (Dendrocygna autumnalis) whistle to each other in flight while they circled a pond at Eco Park.
- SCRATCH THAT ITCH. After this Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias ), a true o-fishing-nado, ate its meal, it took time to rest and scratch that itch.
- HAVE A PICNIC OUTSIDE IN NATURE. The American Coot (Fulica americana) found a delicacy on the bottom of this shallow pond.
- AVOID THE AFTERNOON HEAT AND TAKE A SIESTA. Scrunch up your toes, take a load off, and relax like this immature Northern Jacana chick (Jacana spinosa).
- HANG OUT IN YOUR HABITAT. The Green Heron (Butorides virescens) can cool off in its watery home.
- PLAY GAMES. This young Black Vulture (Coragyps atratus) tagged the tree as a target while it practiced how to land several times.
- ENJOY THINGS TOGETHER WITH YOUR PARTNER. A pair of Olive-throated Parakeets (Eupsittula nana) mate for life.
- TAKE A VACATION WITH YOUR FAMILY FLOCK OR FRIENDS. American or Caribbean Flamingos (Phoenicopterus ruber) fly from their breeding grounds to overwinter in another part of the Yucatan.
- SUNBATHE TO SOAK IN VITAMIN D. Certain preen oil contains Vitamin D precursors. When sunlight hits the birds’ feathers, like this Anhinga (Anhinga anhinga), it activates the Vitamin D.
- IN SPITE OF THE HEAT, DON’T FORGET TO LIFT UP YOUR HEAD AND LOUDLY SING! A Melodious Blackbird (Dives dives) stretches up its body, and then dives into a song.
DISCOVER OTHER WAYS TO SEE HOW COOL NATURE REALLY IS!
more recommended stories
First house entirely made of Sargassum built by Mexican inventor in Quintana Roo
PUERTO MORELOS, Q. Roo, September 20,.
Art & Fashion in Unique Style at an unbelievable price!
The brand @MASTERPIECE.MEX was born of.
López Obrador promises an extra 10 billion pesos for earthquake recovery
President-elect Andrés Manuel López Obrador yesterday.
Pitbull’s exhibition and seminar in Oxkutzcab, Yucatán (Sep. 23)
On Sunday, September 23, an exhibition of.
Ticul Yucatán will stop using plastic
After a session of the City.
Young Yucatecan talent at Olimpo’s piano recital
Prior to the sixth edition of.
Tulum’s “La Calma” Ecoresort master plan rejected by Semarnat
On September 12th, the environmental organization.
Quintana Roo state authorities are working towards an economy with zero net carbon emissions
Quintana Roo is working towards an.
Popocatépetl volcano registers six explosions in a 24-hour period (VIDEO)
The Popocatépetl volcano located 50 miles.
Absurd: Venezuelan firemen arrested for donkey video mocking Nicolás Maduro (VIDEO)
CARACAS, Venezuela — Two firefighters have.