Published On: Wed, Apr 8th, 2015

Oxkutzcab – the ‘Deep South’ of Yucatán

TYT Original Reporting

By Stewart Mandy

OXKUTZCAB, YUCATÁN – We headed out of Mérida, taking the highway to Chetumal, and were delighted to find that it is in the process of being enlarged to a four lane highway the entire way. Currently the improvements only stretch about 25km from Mérida, however when it is complete, it will dramatically cut the driving time between the capitals of Yucatán and Quintana Roo. Even though the road is still mainly two lanes, it only took us a little over an hour from the edge of Mérida to arrive in Oxkutzcab.

Oxkutzcab is a small city of around 30,000 people with an appearance of some prosperity; thanks to the fruit industry, and to the large number of locals who emigrated to the USA (primarily to the San Francisco Bay area) and who have subsequently returned with dollars in their pockets, or who remain there while sending regular remittances to their families. The “20 de Noviembre” market in the center of town serves as a wholesale venue for fruit and vegetables which are then retailed at smaller markets throughout the southern part of Yucatán and as far away as Mérida and the gulf coast beach towns.

The center contains the main square, markets, and a magnificent Franciscan church, noted mainly for its ornamental façade, featuring a stone statue of St. Francis, the patron of the mission. The ‘Ruta Puuc’ passes through Oxkutzcab, making it a convenient stopover point mid-way along the route; the Grutas de Loltún are nearby, as are several Mayan ruins. Slightly outside the center of town the Ermita sits perched on the top of a nearby hill.

The city is not without its problems; and in some neighborhoods, graffiti strewn walls stand testament to the street gangs which plague the town; an unwelcome legacy of the returning migrants, who became involved in the ‘gang lifestyle’ while in the USA. Fortunately the gangs are not like the violent criminal gangs elsewhere in Mexico, and although they fight amongst themselves, visitors to the town are unlikely to be affected by them, or even aware of their presence.

Each year at the end of November, the city hosts the “Festival of Oranges”, but Oxkutzcab is well worth a visit at any time of the year.

By Stewart Mandy

Questions or comments? Join the discussion below, or send an email to stewart@theyucatantimes.com

Stewart Mandy thumbnail

Born in Europe, raised in the Middle East, and a long-time resident in the Americas, Stewart has been based in Mérida, Yucatan since 2010, and has lived and worked worldwide in the media, travel, tourism and transportation industries for well over 20 years. His local contacts and global knowledge provide him with unmatched access to the stories ‘behind the stories’ and he likes to take you to the places that others don’t or won’t go. From the Arctic Circle to Tierra del Fuego, from Moscow to Melbourne, from Bergen to Buenos Aires, Stewart has been there. Chances are, wherever you are heading, he knows the score.

In addition to The Yucatan Times, Stewart contributes (or has contributed) to “The Examiner” (www.examiner.com), “Business Briefings”, “Cruise & Ferry Magazine” and “The Apollo Magazine”. He is a former editor of “rolling pin CRUISE” magazine.

He can be contacted by email at stewart@theyucatantimes.com or smandy@gmail.com. You can join him on Facebook at www.facebook.com/meridawriter, follow him on Twitter @stewartmandy or visit his website at www.stewartmandy.com or his blog at http://tolocsandaluxes.blogspot.mx/

Comments

comments

1. Patrick says:

Have you ever considered writing an ebook or writing on other blogs? I have a blog based on the same information you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my visitors would value your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

2. download zapya says:

I enjoy what you fellows are now up to. This type of cool effort and exposure! Carry on the wonderful work guys, I’ve you on my personal zapya apps free download website.

3. Super Mario Run APK says:

I actually came over here via a different web address about pokemon game download and thought I should check out this page. I love what I see therefore I am just following you. Getting excited about going over the site all over again.

4. Jame says:

Somebody essentially help to make seriously posts I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular publish amazing. Great job!

5. buy instagram likes says:

Appreciating the commitment you invested in this site and in-depth details you provide. It’s great to come across a site occasionally which is not the similar outdated rehashed content. Awesome read! We have saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my active instagram followers web page.

6. quotes about life says:

Heya, what do you think around motivational quotes? Really cool matter, huh?

7. Lester says:

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

8. useful content says:

My friends and I absolutely love your blog and find the vast majority of your posts to be precisely what I am trying to find. Would you offer people to post material for you? I wouldn’t mind producing a piece of text on encouraging quotes or maybe on some of the things you write about here. Again, awesome internet site!

9. Joelle says:

You can certainly see your skills within the paintings you write. The arena hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart.