Published On: Tue, Mar 3rd, 2015

Three Unarmed Mexican nationals shot by Police in the US in less than a month

Share This
Tags

For the third time in less than a month, the Mexican government has condemned the killing of one of its citizens by police in the United States.

The Mexican government said in a statement on Monday, March 2nd, that it had called on the U.S. Justice Department to look at the cases for suspected excessive force.

The statement said that on Friday February 27th, police officers in Santa Ana, California, fatally shot Ernesto Javier Canepa Diaz. Police, however, have not released the man’s identity or incident details.


 

On Tuesday, Feb. 10, police in Pasco, Washington fatally shot a homeless 35-year-old Antonio Zambrano-Montes. Police said he was throwing rocks.

On Friday, Feb. 20, Grapevine, Texas police fatally shot unarmed 31-year-old Ruben Garcia Villalpando on the roadside, after a high speed chase on a Texas freeway.

On Friday, Feb. 27, police in Santa Ana, California fatally shot Ernesto Javier Canepa Diaz. Police have not released incident details.


US Police

Three Unarmed Mexican nationals have been shot by Police in the US in less than a month (Photo: Google)

The statement called for a revision of use-of-force policies.

Many civil rights groups, which defend the interests of the estimated 40 million Latin American migrants who live in the United States, have also protested the shootings.

In these three unfortunate cases, the Mexican government will use all available resources to ensure the protection of the victims’ families so that they have complete access to justice in accordance with the applicable laws,” according to the statement issued by the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


Debate in the United States over whether police officers use excessive force reached new heights last year following the death of an unarmed African American, Michael Brown, 18, in Ferguson, Missouri. Since then, there have been various high-profile shootings by officers of suspects in New York, Ohio and California.

On Sunday, a homeless man was shot by Los Angeles police in the city’s downtown Skid Row neighborhood in another case that has angered the African-American community.

Police have not identified the real name of the dead man, but he’s been identified by the community as going by the name “Africa.” Africa was declared dead at a hospital shortly after the shooting. No officers were injured during the altercation.

A witness, Dennis Horne, told the Los Angeles Times that “Africa had been fighting with someone else in his tent when police arrived.”

When Africa refused to comply with a police order to come out of the tent, officers used the Taser on him and dragged him out, Horne said. The officers tackled Africa to the ground, where he continued to fight, which led to the fatal shooting, according to Horne.

A video was uploaded to Facebook by Anthony Blackburn. You can here an officer shout “he’s got my gun!” before five gunshots are fired. Prior to the shooting, a woman is tackled after she picks up a baton that one of the officers drops.

As downtown Los Angeles continues to re-develop with more shops and apartments, new laws have emerged in Skid Row. The homeless are allowed to sleep on the streets from 9 p.m to 6 a.m., but they are supposed to remove their tents after 6 a.m. Witnesses believe that was the reason why Africa was forcibly removed.

A nearby resident, Ina Murphy, also told The LA Times that Africa told her he’d recently been released from a mental facility that he’d resided in for 10 years. Murphy said that she’d first noticed Africa in the area, about four or five months ago.

This man got shot over a tent,” a witness said.

Sources:

Mexico Travel Care

footer-john-2


Comments

comments

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>