Published On: Sat, Aug 30th, 2014

The Brewery Where Time Begins

Share This

LONDON, ENGLAND – Craft beer is “hot” right now. Mexico’s artisan beers are attracting attention around the world, as a recent article in TYT (originally published by the Qatari network Al Jazeera) revealed. Read it here if you haven’t already:
I was on the craft beer quest during my springtime visit to London this year, and was fortunate to be invited to spend a couple of hours touring Meantime Brewing Company’s state of the art facilities in Greenwich. In the company of “Beer Sommelier” and expert brewer Rod Jones, I learned about the history of Meantime, the brewing process, and the obsession with quality which has brought the company the success it is currently enjoying.


Why “Meantime”? Because they are in Greenwich of course. Still not sure what I am talking about? Allow Wikipedia to explain:


Meantime was the brainchild of Alastair Hook, a south Londoner who was lucky enough to have an inspirational teacher, who gave him a passion for beer. A degree at Heriot-Watt in Edinburgh, the UK’s leading brew school, and postgraduate work at Weihenstephan, the world’s leading brew school, gave Alastair the formal training, plus a stint in the USA gave him the practical training required to turn him into a brewer. Equipped with a much more cosmopolitan outlook than the average British brewer, Alastair was convinced that the British drinker was being short-changed by the brewing industry. He, he determined, would set that right, and he would do so by example.

Alastair’s mission was simple. To demonstrate the full flavor potential that beer has to offer and place it before the drinking public. In 1999 the company was founded in Alastair’s flat and the search for premises in Greenwich began.


As Meantime gained a reputation for quality beer, it was able to appeal to the more far-sighted restaurateurs who appreciated the value of offering extra quality to their customers in all aspects of their operation, including the beers, which are so often overlooked.

In 2000, the lease to the Observatory pub on Royal Hill became available, and after a quick and frantic pub refurbishment, the Greenwich Union opened in November 2001 selling a full range of Meantime brewed beers and no national brewers products at all; the only pub in London to do so. Within a few months of opening it was short listed for the Time Out, Evening Standard and Class magazine Pub of the Year awards.


In 2006, the company achieved its stated goal of winning a gold medal at that year’s World Beer Cup, for their Coffee Porter. 2007 was also an excellent year for awards, with no fewer than four Meantime beers being classed in the World’s Top 50 as compiled by the International Beer Challenge.


2009 was dominated by two major projects; raising finance to fund the investment needed to move the brewery out of its now hopelessly inadequate premises, and preparing for the opening of a second retail outlet. The outlet was to be called The Old Brewery, in recognition of the fact that by installing a three story brewhouse against one wall of the Pepys building, the company was reinstating brewing on a site that had seen brewing take place continuously from around 1717 to 1860.

The new restaurant-brewery opened officially on March 23rd 2010, with London Mayor Boris Johnson pouring the inaugural pint. Rave reviews followed, both for the beer brewed by Rod Jones and for the food, meticulously prepared by Michelin star trained chef, Daniel Doherty.

State of the art equiment at Meantime Brewery (Stewart Mandy)

State of the art equiment at Meantime Brewery (Stewart Mandy)

Today, the company employees around 30 people at the new brewery location, and sources 97% of its grain from within the UK, primarily from the east coast of England, East Anglia, and Scotland. The remaining 3% is imported from the region of Bavaria in Germany. The malt used in production is exactly the same as that used for malt whisky production in Scotland. Top quality malted barley is sourced, which costs up to 50% more than the industry standard barley used by most large scale brewers. At Meantime, they never add fillers such as corn or rice to their brews, preferring to focus on producing a quality product, even if it costs more to do so.


Top quality barley provides flavor, while the natural enzymes break down the starches and turn them into sugar. 90% of the malt is pale – which forms the main ingredient for the brews; other types of malt comprise the remaining 10%, which are needed for certain specialty beers.


A six week maturation process is used (by contrast, many commercial brewers mature their products for as little as two days), during which natural carbonation occurs. The beer is not pasteurized; instead it is micro-filtered to remove any bacteria which could spoil the end product; a process which does not come cheap, costing £5,000 per week in filters alone.


Meantime’s impressive brewery in Greenwich has been located at the current site for 4 years, and more expansion into neighboring space is currently planned. Tours are available; more information about tour times can be found on their website.


Meantime’s Brewery and Visitors Centre is located in Blackwall Lane, London SE10, accessible by bus, train, and underground. For more information and opening hours, visit their website at


The Greenwich Union pub is located at 56 Royal Hill, London SE10. For more information, visit their website at


The Old Brewery restaurant, bar, and café is located at The Pepys Building, The Old Royal Naval College, London SE 10. For more information, visit their website at


Meantime’s products are imported into the USA by Artisanal Imports – visit them online for more information and retail outlets:


If your travel plans include London (or indeed elsewhere in the UK), be sure to try a pint of one of Meantime’s outstanding brews.

By Stewart Mandy

Born in Europe, raised in the Middle East, and a long-time resident in the Americas, Stewart has been based in Mérida, Yucatan since 2010, and has lived and worked worldwide in the media, travel, tourism and transportation industries for well over 20 years.

His local contacts and global knowledge provide him with unmatched access to the stories ‘behind the stories’ and he likes to take you to the places that others don’t or won’t go.

From the Arctic Circle to Tierra del Fuego, from Moscow to Melbourne, from Bergen to Buenos Aires, Stewart has been there. Chances are, wherever you are heading, he knows the score.

In addition to The Yucatan Times, Stewart contributes (or has contributed) to “The Examiner” (, “Business Briefings”, “Cruise & Ferry Magazine” and “The Apollo Magazine”. He is a former editor of “rolling pin CRUISE” magazine.

He can be contacted by email at or You can join him on Facebook at, follow him on Twitter @stewartmandy or visit his website at or his blog at

Mexico Travel Care




Displaying 9 Comments
Have Your Say
  1. Chester says:

    Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for a related topic, your web site came up, it looks great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

  2. Ula says:

    I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this website. I am hoping the same high-grade site post from you in the upcoming as well. Actually your creative writing skills has inspired me to get my own site now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings fast. Your write up is a great example of it.

  3. shareit apk download says:

    Heya, what do you feel around shareit app download? Pretty trendy issue, huh?

  4. kik login online says:

    Hello could you tell me which blogging platform you’re working with? I am going to start my own blog on kik on pc very soon although I am having a tough time making a choice.

  5. this site says:

    qRBPbC Major thankies for the blog post.Thanks Again. Will read on

  6. Elliott says:

    I believe that is among the such a lot significant info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. However wanna remark on few basic things, The web site taste is wonderful, the articles is in reality nice : D. Excellent task, cheers

  7. useful site says:

    It was amazing reading this info and I feel you are completely correct. Let me know in case you’re thinking of girl pick up lines, that is my main expertise. Hope to check back with you in the near future, take good care!

  8. A round of applause for your article post.Thanks Again. Really Great.

  9. Corey says:

    I’m writing to let you know what a outstanding encounter my cousin’s child went through reading through yuor web blog. She mastered a wide variety of issues, which included what it’s like to possess an amazing coaching heart to have a number of people without difficulty fully grasp a number of complex subject areas. You undoubtedly did more than visitors’ desires. I appreciate you for rendering the invaluable, trusted, edifying not to mention unique guidance on that topic to Janet.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>